In this one day class the student will learn to safely handle and shoot their firearm, in a group environment. We will teach you how to properly load, unload, and draw the pistol from the holster. The student will understand how to clear a possible malfunction, and how to shoot accurately. Shooting a gun is simple; doing so accurately and repeatedly, isn’t. This is a technical class, but after leaving this course you will be able to defend yourself with the skills the student has learned and practiced.
This course is perfect for a beginner, or a shooter who is working at enhancing their technical skills. The fundamentals class breaks down the subsections of each skill set, so the student can digest it and master them. The student will accumulate technical skills, to accurately and safely shoot a weapon system. In many cases for professionals, this course is taken throughout the year.
POI (Points of Instruction)
1. Firearms safe handling procedures
2. Weapon and operating mechanics
3. Loading procedures, unloading, and reloads
4. Grip, sight picture, sight alignment and trigger control
5. Combat marksmanship fundamentals
6. Shooting stances and its relationship to target distance
7. Stoppages and remedies
8. The student will be familiar with how the mechanical functions of the handgun
Kit – Each student will need to bring:
- Handgun (EDC – every day carry firearm)
- 450 rounds
- Proper holster (holster should be snug to your waistline), and fit your pistol.
- Magazine carrier
- 2-5 magazines, bring as many as you have but a minimum of 2
- Eye protection and Hearing protection (electronic preferred)
We also recommend packing; cleaning kit for weapons maintenance and to wear comfortable clothes. Bring a lunch and enough hydration for the day; or if you prefer, we will break for lunch, and there are BBQ joints, Subway and other choices. Sunscreen, wet wipes and other comfort items are your friends. Pen and paper for notes.
To advance to the next class you will be tested on the following mechanical and technical skills. Scoring zones will be shown in class.
STANDARDS Handgun Fundamentals I
From the 7 yard: 18 total rounds 90 percent to pass
1 round from combat ready (2.5 seconds)
1 round from the holster (4 seconds)
2 rounds A zone combat ready (3 seconds)
5 rounds A zone , 1 head, combat ready (4.5 seconds)
1 round, reload, 1 round, low ready (5 seconds)
2 rounds plus 1 head shot, T1 repeat T2 combat ready (4.5 seconds)